Tuesday 23 August 2011

The Golden Ball





Characters:

Princess
Frog
King
Prince

Setting:

Act I:

forest scene; well; golden ball; pearl necklace; rhinestone bracelet

Acts II and II:

castle dining hall; table and chairs; dishes; door

SCRIPT:

ACT I
A scene in the forest. The princess enters, singing and playing with a golden ball.
Princess: My, how quiet the forest is. And such a beautiful day! To make everything perfect, my father the king gave me this golden ball. It´s so precious. I´ll treasure it forever (sees well and stops suddenly). My, I´ve never seen this well before. I wonder where it came from? (looks down well). It certainly is deep. It must go down for miles. (drops ball into well) Oh, no! I´ve lost my ball in the well. What shall I do? Oh, what shall I do? (begins to cry).


Frog: (sticks head up from behind well) Croak, croak. Princess , why are you crying? Croak, croak.


Princess: Croak, croak yourself, you horrible frog! Go away! I dropped my golden ball into the well. If I could get it back, I´d give everything I own — my pearl necklace (touches necklace); my diamond bracelet (shows bracelet) — everything!


Frog: I can get your ball. But what would I do with all your fine things?


Princess: (angrily) How should I know? (turns back on frog)


Frog: (taps her on shoulder) Look, you´re upset. I´ll get your golden ball.


Princess: (turning to frog) You will?


Frog: Yes, I will — if you let me live at the castle.


Princess: What!


Frog: And let me eat from your golden plate.


Princess: Eat from my golden plate!


Frog: And let me sleep on your pillow.


Princess: (turns to audience) What nonsense this frog talks. But he can get my golden ball. And he´ll never be able to find his way to the castle. (turns to frog) Very well, find my golden ball and I´ll do what you ask.


Frog: You will have your golden ball (disappears behind well).


Princess: (looking down well) My goodness. It´s so dark down there. Where is that frog? I can´t see him. I´ll bet he´s stolen my golden ball. (she jumps back as the frog appears with the ball). You found it! You found it! (she grabs the fall and runs off stage).


Frog: Princess! Princess! You promised to take me back to the castle with you. Princess! (he shakes his head, and jumps back behind the well as the curtain falls).


King: (touches the princess´s forehead) My dear, you´re pale. What´s the matter?


Princess: (crying) There´s a horrible frog at the door. I dropped my golden ball into a well and he got it back for me. I told him he could live at the castle. But I never thought he would be able to find his way here.


Frog: (knocks at the door) Princess, oh, Princess, open the door! I am your true love forevermore!


Princess: Oh, father, what am I to do?


King: You gave your word and you must keep it. Let the frog in.


Princess: Very well, father. (open the door and sighs). Come in, frog.


Frog: Thank you, Princess. I`m hungry. Let me eat from your plate. (he hops to the table and begins to eat). This is delicious. But I´m so tired. (yawns).Let me sleep on your pillow.


Princess: Must I, father?


King: (nods his head). Yes, you gave your word.


Princess: Oh, all right. Come on, frog. I´ll carry you upstairs. (As she walks toward the frog, the curtain falls.)

King: Daughter, you´re not eating.


Princess: I´m not hungry, Father.


King: Come, come child! You´ve said that for three nights in a row.


Princess: And for three nights that dreadful frog has come back. Every night it´s the same thing (imitates the forg´s voice): ¨Princess, oh Princess, open the door! I am your true love forevermore!


King: You gave him your word.


Princess: Yes, but when he comes in, he eats from my plate. and he´s so sloppy! Then I must carry him upstairs and place him on my pillow. And he´s so wet! UGH! each morning, he´s gone and I´m glad.


Frog: (knocks at door) Princess, oh Princess, open the door! I am your true love forevermore!


Princess: Oh, no! He´s here again!


King: Open the door.


Princess: Father, must I?


King: You gave him your word.


Princess: (opens door and sees a handsome prince) Who– Who are you?


Prince: (enters room) I am a prince. A wicked witch turned me into a frog. I had to find a beautiful princess who would let me eat from her plate and sleep on her pillow for three nights in a row. Then I could become a prince again.


Princess: I don´t know what to say!


Prince: Say you´ll marry me and come to live with me in my father´s kingdom.


Princess: Oh, yes. I will! I will! I will! I will!(she hugs the prince as the curtain falls).


The End

from: http://www.kidsinco.com/2008/07/the-golden-ball/

No comments:

Post a Comment